The past weekend's projects – a clothespin holder and a made-over shirt.
The clothespin holder has been in the back of my mind since about 1989, when I lived in the Goldstream Valley. I was renting a little cabin, and the laundry line had a little girl's dress with the hem sewed up, for holding clothespins. I've been wanting something similar since the ex-boyfriend put up the laundry dryer a couple of years ago. So, when I saw those adorable red gingham overalls at Value Village I couldn't resist. I looked up how to make a skirt from a pair of jeans, and then sewed the hemline closed. Hooked them to the dryer with a pair of clothespins, though they could easily be hooked over the lines with the bib straps too.
The other project was to make over a shirt I really didn't like. After seeing the tee shirt with collar and front placket at Wardrobe Refashion '06, I couldn't resist trying that too. I took apart a glitzy white shirt I'd gotten at the transfer station solely for the buttons several weeks ago, and attached the collar to the knit shirt. I didn't like the front placket, so I removed that, sewed the opening shut and resewed the bias tape over the raw edges (this sounds really simple, but it took me three trys to get it right!). Then I took a lacy collar, and stitched that down to cover up the closed placket. The neckline for the collar was much smaller than the shirt, so I sewed that down by hand to get it to curve correctly. As soon as I finish the handstitching, I'll get a photo up! I should have taken a "before" photo, but I was so anxious to get started!
Next project: Make over my overalls. I have a pair of bibs, which I love wearing in the summer, with legs that are just getting too stained and beat up to wear to work any more. So I'm going to cut off the ripped up/stained parts, and fancy up the bib pockets (haven't decided how yet), and maybe the straps too.