Weekend painting

Fun weekend! My friend Colette and I painted fabric on Sunday, at my house. We followed the suggestions in an article in the current issue of Quilting Arts Magazine (Summer 2006, Issue 22), Sun Prints with Tissue Paper. We interpreted the instructions pretty loosely; using fabric paints we had on hand (not the brand she suggested), although I did accidently buy one of the brands of tissue paper she suggested. It was a messy project, so I'm glad we worked outside. I didn't have enough room to lay things flat to dry thoroughly, so we let things dry flat to the point of not dripping, then hung them on the clothesline. At first though, I hung pieces on the clothesline, without letting them partially dry, and paints ran more that way. Both ways worked well.

We also tried painting and tissueing over plants (pressed and fresh), with had mixed results. The large leaves that I grabbed off a nearby tree worked well, but fresh grass and horsetail (Equisetum) didn't work at all. I also used some pressed wild borage and wild delphinium, which didn't really work. The skinny plants just didn't cover enough fabric to keep the paint from running under the stems. The large leaves were held down tightly enough by the tissue paper that they left a good impression on the fabric.

Anyway, it was fun, and we have some new fabrics and new projects!

painted fabric painted fabric

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s