update Sept. 2010 – it appears that Maria has moved her website, and these links are no longer active. If you have the URL, please leave a comment. Thanks!
If you’re a little intimidated by, or would like to get more familiar with using color in your projects, Maria Peagler has an excellent online color class “Developing Your Color Palette”. I’ve listed the lessons below. She’s going to leave them up indefinitely, which is a real bonus for me-and you too I hope!
- Lesson One – Your color kit
- Lesson Two – Keeping a color journal
- Lesson Three – Creating a color palette with fabric
- Lesson Four – Creating a color palette with fabrics you don’t like
- Lesson Five – Creating a quilter’s color wheel
- Lesson Six – Using the color wheel to identify color relationships
- Lesson Seven – Creating an analogous color scheme
- Lesson Eight – Creating a complementary color scheme
- Lesson Nine– Creating a basic value scheme
More info on color: Top ten myths about quilters using the color wheel
Be sure to take a look around Maria’s site; she has some awesome quilts! She writes about color in her blog (a link is at the top of the page), so keep an eye on it for more information.
**Thanks to Sharon B (inaminuteago) for bringing this site to my attention!